Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Bush gave a speech today

One of the things I found odd was that I couldn't find his speech anywhere on TV. It seems the main stream media is more interested in making sure people don't miss any of their precious soap operas in the afternoon. Either that or they don't care about what Bush has to say anymore.

The speech can be found here, with my favorite part below.

"I want to be absolutely clear with our people, and the world: The United States does not torture. It's against our laws, and it's against our values. I have not authorized it -- and I will not authorize it. Last year, my administration worked with Senator John McCain, and I signed into law the Detainee Treatment Act, which established the legal standard for treatment of detainees wherever they are held. I support this act. And as we implement this law, our government will continue to use every lawful method to obtain intelligence that can protect innocent people, and stop another attack like the one we experienced on September the 11th, 2001. "

Hmmm...I like how he talks about McCain's bill. Didn't he push against it, and when signing it add one of his famous signing statements?

"So today, I'm sending Congress legislation to specifically authorize the creation of military commissions to try terrorists for war crimes. My administration has been working with members of both parties in the House and Senate on this legislation. We put forward a bill that ensures these commissions are established in a way that protects our national security, and ensures a full and fair trial for those accused. The procedures in the bill I am sending to Congress today reflect the reality that we are a nation at war, and that it's essential for us to use all reliable evidence to bring these people to justice."

Silly me...I thought congress was supposed to write laws and the president signed or vetoed it. I didn't realize he could right a law and then sign his approval to it as well? I wonder if he will add a signing statement to his own bill.

I read a nice quote from Abe Lincoln earlier today that I think Bush should consider.

"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves."


update:

Here is the bill he is sending to congress, and here is a pretty good rundown of the highlights.

2 comments:

Schroeder said...

"I want to be absolutely clear with our people, and the world: The United States does not torture. It's against our laws, and it's against our values. I have not authorized it -- and I will not authorize it."

You could drive a double-wide FEMA trailer through that comment: The Bush administration euphemism for torture is "extraordinary rendition."

Beklar said...

You would have to actually be able to get a FEMA trailer to do that though.